Saturday, June 28, 2008

Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary with CD-ROM (Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary)

Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary with CD-ROM (Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary)


I am satisfied with the Dorland's medical dictionary, but I can use the dictionary in the library, where I study. I bought the dictionary, so I could see it while at home, etc. But I was motivated to buy it based on the accompanying CD, and Internet access. Both very disappointing. As a student, I can not bear the dictionary with me when I go, although I would like to do it. Online access is terribly slow. When you enter a word (most of the time the site will not load in 60seconds and I give up), although there is an exact match it does not take you to the screen, just to a screen with the word - which you then click to get to the final destination - What is the point in that?
With regard to the CD, it is not working right now, but it is a problem with my computer. I had hoped that either the CD or the website would be easy to use. I just noticed that it is on the label "single user version." This means that every time you want to use the dictionary on your computer CD should be in the drive. I ask again, what is the point in that? Some light laptops do not even have CD drives currently. Why would I need to bring the CD anywhere, as well --- I wanted a program I could install - it's what I was led to believe I was buying. Not to mention the program is load and slow when it must be run from a CD drive - it's why people install applications.
I have a Merriam-Webster Dictionary - which, after about 6 years, I discovered the CD in the back cover. It seems like a dream. I have installed the program once, and whenver I want to see it at work, I click on an icon and a simple and effective program (what do you want in a dictionary) opens, and I can look up words quickly.

Do not let this mislead you --- I enjoy the print version. That is what is advertised. But there are copies of these throughout the library, where I spend my time, and I hoped that access to extras would be worth me to buy my own copy. Just wish they lived up to the standards.



0 komentar: